It can be very distressing if you have been accused of bullying, harassment, or sexual misconduct.  It’s important to be aware that the university will not make assumptions and will not consider a person ‘at fault’ until an accusation has been investigated.  All those involved in a complaint will be treated fairly and offered advice and support. 

It’s good practice to take time to reflect about the other person’s perception of your behaviour. Even if you feel that your behaviour was well-intentioned, your words or actions may have hurt or offended another person, and this may be thought of as an opportunity for learning, or perhaps for a change of approach. 
  • Listen carefully to the objection and to the particular concerns expressed.  
  • Stop the behaviour that's been reported straight away. If you are deemed to have continued this behaviour after an objection has been made known to you, this will be seen as a more serious issue.
  • You are likely to need advice and support to understand the objection. Find a way to discuss the matter with someone you trust, such as a personal tutor or a colleague, or someone identified by them or Student Services or People & OD to provide appropriate support.
  • If you feel you are being unjustly accused, consider asking for mediation from Student Services or People & OD. Supported information discussions involving you, the person alleging ill-treatment, and a trained mediator may enable you to discuss the issues and find a way forward. 

What happens when something is reported? 

When a report is made about a student or staff member, there are procedures that will be followed. The reporting party may wish to speak to an adviser to discuss their options for informal or formal resolution. Informal resolutions include addressing the matter directly with the person whose behaviour is being reported. 

If the matter proceeds formally, the reported behaviour of a student will be investigated under the Procedure for Student Discipline, and the reported behaviour of a member of staff will be investigated under the Staff Grievance Resolution Procedure

Get Support  

Students who are concerned about their behaviour can speak to: 
  • The Hub: there's a Hub on every campus and online information and guidance can be accessed by clicking here
  •  UWS Union Advice Service: this is a free confidential, impartial service where students can get advice and information on academic and personal issues, including advice on academic appeals and representation at hearings. 
Staff who are worried about their behaviour can speak to: 
  • People & Organisational Development.  Your HR team members will be able to provide guidance and identify the support that’s available for you. You can email the team by clicking here 
  • Health Assured is the University’s employee assistance programme, a confidential helpline that is available 24 hours a day for staff and their immediate family. Full details on how to use this service are available here

There are two ways you can tell us what happened