Nobody should have to live with the fear and anxiety that racism can cause. 

We believe unlawful discrimination is never okay. Racism is contrary to the Equality Act 2010 and the University's Equality, Diversity and Human Rights Code. 

In the Equality Act, race can mean your colour, or your nationality (including your citizenship). It can also mean your ethnic or national origins, which may not be the same as your current nationality. For example, you may have Chinese national origins and be living in Britain with a British passport. 

Race also covers ethnic and racial groups. This means a group of people who all share the same protected characteristic of ethnicity or race.  

A racial group can be made up of two or more distinct racial groups for example black Britons, British Asians (including British Sikhs, British Muslims, and British HIbdus), British Jews, Romany Gypsies and Irish Travellers. 

You may be discriminated against because of one or more aspects of your race for example people born in Britain to Jamaican parents could be discriminated against because they are British citizens, or because of their Jamaican national origins. For more information on what constitutes discrimination click this link.  
  • Are you in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured, you can call 999 (or 112 from a mobile). 
  • Find a safe space. If an incident has just happened try and find somewhere you feel safe. If you are on campus you can request support from Security by calling 0141 848 3505 (all Scottish campuses) and 0141 848 3047 (for London), or use the SafeZone app. The SafeZone app enables users to call for help and assistance, giving students and staff fast access to security whenever and wherever you are on campus. You can download the SafeZone app by clicking here 
  • Talk to a friend. Talking things through with someone you trust can sometimes help.  
  • Citizens Advice Scotland and Citizens Advice (England) provide useful information on discrimination because of race, religion or belief including guidance on how to deal with racially and religiously motivated attacks. This advice is relative to the country you live in as the law can vary in different parts of the UK.  
  • Reporting to the police. Dial 999 for an emergency (or 112 from a mobile) and 101 for non-emergency.  
  • Reporting the incident anonymously. You can report online to crime stoppers or call 0800 555 111 
  • Reporting to the University. Students and staff can report an incident using the University’s Report + Support pages. This can be done anonymously or by making a report with contact details. If you choose to make a report with contact details, we will be able to talk through the options and support available to you, in confidence. A report can be made using the buttons below. 
  • University procedure. If you choose to make a formal complaint to the University about a student or staff member there are procedures that set out the steps you will need to follow. 
Get support 
  • Find out what support is available to you if you or someone you know has experienced racism by reading our dedicated support page
Go to:  

There are two ways you can tell us what happened