If you think someone you know has experienced a hate crime there are lots of ways in which you can help them. 

Taking time to understand what constitutes a hate crime may help inform your next steps. If you feel you can talk to them about what you have seen, they may be able to describe what has been happening and how it has made them feel. 

Hate incidents and crimes can include discrimination, bullying, harassment, and sexual harassment which are contrary to the Equality Act 2010 and the University's Equality, Diversity and Human Rights Code. 

  • Is there immediate danger? If you or they are in immediate danger or seriously injured, you can call 999 (or 112 from a mobile).
  • Find a safe space. If an incident has just happened try to find somewhere you and they feel safe. If you are on campus you can request support from Security by calling 0141 848 3505 (all Scottish campuses) and 0141 848 3047 (for London), or use the SafeZone app. The SafeZone app enables users to call for help and assistance, giving students and staff fast access to security whenever and wherever you are on campus. You can download the SafeZone app by clicking here.
  • Listen to them. Just taking the time to listen to someone and talking about what has happened can help. Click here for six active listening tips that might help you support them (Published on Oct 4, 2015. Based on the Samaritans' guidelines for active listening)
  • Give options. When they have finished talking ask them if they are okay to talk through some possible options and next steps.
  • Take care of yourself. It is important that you take care of yourself. If you have heard something distressing or if something is troubling you there are services that offer confidential help. Find out more about support options both within and outside of the University for dealing with hate crime. 
  • Reporting to the police - dial 999 for emergency and 101 for non-emergency. 
  • If you are thinking of reporting to the police, Citizens Advice has produced a useful list of things to think about and offer support if you have questions around the reporting process. Find out more about this service here if you are based in Scotland or here if you are based in England or Wales. 
  • Reporting the incident anonymously. An online report can be made to Crimestoppers or by calling 0800 555 111
  • Reporting to the University. Students and staff can report an incident using the University’s Report + Support pages. This can be done anonymously or by making a report with contact details. If you choose to make a report with contact details, we will be able to talk through the options and support available to you, in confidence. A report can be made using the buttons below. 
  • Reporting via a third party reporting centre. You can find your local Hate Crime Third Party Reporting Centre via this link for Scotland, or via this link if you live in England. 
Go to:

There are two ways you can tell us what happened